Webserver

Has anyone implemented a webserver using AVRco Pascal?

• Page 3 of 6
rkumetz

Subject:

Re: Webserver

· 
Posted: 03.03.2007 - 15:54  ·  #17
Rene,
I agree. We can use SMTP however one of the problems we have had with the Lantronix module is that it is unable to obtain the email server address and the customer must know the TCP/IP address of his server. Looking at my email window I realized that most people do not know this and the tech support at most internet service providers may not even know it since it is unusual for someone to need it.

I am assuming that we can resolve that by using DNS to obtain the IP and then using the SMPT with the address obtained. We do however need to be able to authenticate because it is rare for one of our customers to have a server or even a PC at the site where our product will be located.

Thanks.
Ron
rh
Administrator
Homepage: e-lab.de
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2007 - 17:36  ·  #18
Hello Ron,

"older boards" ?? Which boards? If they mean the 7010B this can make sense
if the internas of both chips 3150/5100 are identical.

Concerning SMTP, without a DNS access by a DNS client this is impossible.
Our current Wiznet driver includes a DNS driver.

rolf
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2007 - 17:48  ·  #19
Rolf,
Yes. They suggested using a 7010B board. I looked at the data sheets and it appears that this is a valid suggestion.

I am just getting up to speed on the TCP/IP issues but I had assumed that SMTP to a server name rather than an IP address would simply require using the DNS function to acquire the IP address. The result of the DNS request would then be used for the SMTP transfer. Is this incorrect?
Ron
rh
Administrator
Homepage: e-lab.de
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2007 - 17:59  ·  #20
Hello Ron,
yes that is correct.

rolf
FvMP

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2007 - 23:24  ·  #21
Hello,

the new w5100 chip looks promising indeed. From the wiznet statement suggesting w3150 products for development, I see there's no w5100 board available now or for the next future. As the w3150 lacks a SPI interface, it doesn't seem particularly suitable for an AVR design. I would expect however, that the w5100 silicon is at least functional in part. Don't know why it completely fails in Rolfs tests. Without a working oscillator, a response at any interface would be actually surprising. This may be due to a defective chip or a design error. From the simple circuit an evaluation board seems really unnecessary.

Another question is how long it would take to port the wzNet driver from w3100 interface to w3150/w5100?

Regards,

Frank
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 01:32  ·  #22
The W3150A+ DOES have an SPI interface. The NM7010B+ module is populated with this chip and is the one that is suggested by Wiznet for W5100 development.
FvMP

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 08:29  ·  #23
Hello Ron,

you're right, I had an old w3150a datasheet and missed the w3150a+ differences.

Frank
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 15:44  ·  #24
Frank,
Can you please tell that to my teenage daughter? I am never right at home!

If the W5100 has problems as Rolf believes then the W3150A* would be a suitable alternative. It is 2 chips instead of 1 but still better than needing a data bus and losing the code space and other resources for the TCP/IP stack.

I did find a device that could potentially replace the Lantronix module in a more friendly manner. The Xport is really ONLY designed to be a serial to ethenet bridge though Lantronix tries to say otherwise. The SimpleLan allows you to share up to 1200 bytes of data between your application and the served web page. ( https://www.avcomtec.com ) I may give it a try to see if it can get us out of our current situation. For $29 qty 1 it is half the cost of the Xport !

Ron
  • Page 3 of 6
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.
MySQL Queries: 15 · Cache Hits: 14   109   123 · Page-Gen-Time: 0.027729s · Memory Usage: 2 MB · GZIP: on · Viewport: SMXL-HiDPI