Webserver

Has anyone implemented a webserver using AVRco Pascal?

• Page 5 of 6
rh
Administrator
Homepage: e-lab.de
Subject:

Re: Webserver

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 19:11  ·  #33
Hello Ron,

when Fritz and I started the development of the additional Wiznet driver based
on the 5100, we discussed the necessary TCP/IP enhancements. We agreed
that we must have a HTTP server and a mail client in addition to the already
existing drivers for DNS etc.

After this big disaster with the 5100 chip Fritz was so disappointed that he
cancelled all further development. I hope I can "switch" him on again.
We must work together here, he is the Ethernet guy and I'm the kernel and
realtime guy.

rolf
FvMP

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 19:35  ·  #34
Hello Ron, hello Rolf,

I think a HTTP server, including a practicable mechanism to generate dynamic pages would be the most valuable enhancement to wznet. SMTP could also been seen as another TCP socket application as with other web enabled products. But it would be comfortable to have a sendmail driver with common options e. g. authentication.

Looking at rabbit library features, the TCPIP V2 manual seems to contain the part that is missing from wznet now:

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor…index.html

Regards,

Frank
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 19:41  ·  #35
Rolf,
I am not sure if you are familiar with the way that Rabbit handles this with their dynamic C / Rabbit web package but it is very nice. For an investment of about $300 US you can get a web based application going very quickly. This assumes of course that you don't have existing hardware and want to be writing C code..........

A summary of what they do is that they allow you to declare a variable something like this "web var_name as char" which tells the compiler that the variable needs to be accessible to the C code as well as the HTML page.
That means that while your application and web page need to have the same variables, etc the actual server module doesn't need to be modified from project to project and it appears to avoid CGI scripts.

The Simplelan product that I mentioned earlier is even more simple. It interfaces using a serial port. You write the variables to the module and they supply a utility that matches up the variables with the locations in memory. To send emails you just send the necessary parameters: smpt server name, user name, password, To:, From:, and then the message. It is simple but seems to be a sensible idea.

We can't use that module because the data that we need to share totals about 2K.

We are using the webserver as a GUI for monitor and control. The user needs to be able to log in and look at some parameters, change alarm and warning thresholds,etc. In addition we need to be able to allow them to set up the device (IP address, gateway, etc) and the email functions (server name, who gets the emails, etc) We only need some very simple security and the page that I linked you to does it using the standard HTML password stuff.

We are hardware guys who do firmware because we need to. This makes compilers like AVRco and BASCOM attractive and time saving tools. With this type of functionality as well as the Modbus, multitasking and the data structures not offered by Bascom it would make life much more pleasant for us.

Thanks for all the time you have put into discussing this issue. I think that web enabled devices are very popular now and it will in a short time reward your efforts.

Ron
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 19:44  ·  #36
Frank.
That is EXACTLY it. Rabbit has recognized that a web based GUI is much easier to make look "sexy" and that providing that crucial link between the application code and the HTML or Java code removes the complicated part of using a browser based GUI. In addition, it removes the need to write extra code to communicate parameters back and forth between the server and the application code. We had to write a lot of code to make our data available to the serial port to send and receive it through the Xport. With Rabbit that is not necessary.

Ron
rh
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 19:58  ·  #37
Hello Ron,

Fritz and I discussed this dynamic insertion of data into a requested web page.
Only this really makes sense. Simply sending a static page is easy but not our
main goal. We thought of storing the page content anywhere, internal Flash,
external memory and also SD/MMC cards with FAT16.

We thought of some identifiers in the page data stream which then must be
exchanged by the driver with some life data. But no further exact ideas how
to do this. But we were sure that we can handle it in this or a similar way.

rolf
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 20:31  ·  #38
Rolf,
If you could use dataflash such as an AT26F321 that would allow those who do not require removable storage or who are making very small devices to use a single 8 pin SOIC and have 4M bytes of storage. That is far more than a Lantronix Xport has available!

I have found 3 places where there appears to be a good bit of information.
The best is the one for Rabbit web:

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor…bitWeb.pdf

They also discuss how security is handled for web access to data.

Zilog has similar support but is not as well documented in my opinion:

http://www.zilog.com/products/partdetails.asp?id=eZ80F91

The way that it is done by Simple Lan is ok for small apps and can remove the connection between the HTML and the C code. It is probably more appropriate for a co-processor type situation though.

Ron
rkumetz

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2007 - 23:25  ·  #39
rh
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2007 - 00:03  ·  #40
Hello Ron,

we had a similar idea :ja:

btw.
I contacted Fritz this evening and he told me that he has not time for some
weeks or months for developing the new Wiznet driver. Sorry.

rolf
  • Page 5 of 6
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.
MySQL Queries: 15 · Cache Hits: 14   116   130 · Page-Gen-Time: 0.022204s · Memory Usage: 2 MB · GZIP: on · Viewport: SMXL-HiDPI