Autoload for USB drivers

USB device with its own driver

Jest

Subject:

Autoload for USB drivers

· 
Posted: 29.03.2011 - 18:20  ·  #1
Hello,

now, when we have AVRco speaking USB :love: I would like to make smart device, which will have its own drivers and will install them on host when connected to it.

To be more clear it is like this:
- when device is inserted is simulating memory stick with some "autorun"
- this autorun will install proper drivers to host
- when drivers are installed, device will change its role into smart device starting doing it's work

Of course, this can be done this or different way but I do not know. That is why I am asking... :-)
Thank you for help,
Andrej
rh
Administrator
Homepage: e-lab.de
Subject:

Re: Autoload for USB drivers

· 
Posted: 29.03.2011 - 22:14  ·  #2
Hello Jest,
if I understand you, you expect that the external AVR-USB device downloads the USB driver to windows and installs it. Good idea, but where is the place for 100..200kB driver in the AVR? And then there must be a USB-Stick filesystem in the AVR.
:devil: I'm afraid that you expect a little bit too much from a little AVR.

rolf
pvs-deck
PowerUser
Homepage: pvs-deck.de
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2011 - 23:35  ·  #3
Nicely idea, but I thinks exactly the same as Rolf.

The AVR is simply too small for it!

Best which you can make, use the AVR-USB as HID DEVICE ( AVR Atmel HID-USB-Device ), all AVR-USB support this.
Windows has this driver firmly on board, but the software to use this driver, must install over another way.

Thorsten
Jest

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2011 - 08:28  ·  #4
Hello,

yes, I agree with both of you - AVR is s mall. :(

But, on the other side, there is nice application note showing how to do it:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resou…oc7631.pdf

And, if I don't use flash memory but SD, there will be enough place for drivers to be loaded from this drive. But, when those drivers are installed, I would need to start my application on same processor...

One way is to put two AVRs and a hub on a stick - one AVR is mass storage and other my application. When inserted, HUB is enumerated and loaded, then mass storage is loaded, next or driver for application loads independently or user loads them and main application can start. 8-)

How about combination USB-AVR-SD together with AVRco? Can it be done as mass storage?

Best regards,
Andrej
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.
MySQL Queries: 15 · Cache Hits: 14   79   93 · Page-Gen-Time: 0.022816s · Memory Usage: 2 MB · GZIP: on · Viewport: SMXL-HiDPI