nwrightson
Benutzer
Homepage: nweha.homeserver.c…
Subject:

Wanted - AVRCo FTP Server

· 
Posted: 05.04.2011 - 06:03  ·  #1
Hi All,

Has anybody created an AVRCo FTP server that they want to share?

I'm swapping the MMC card in out out of my PC and AVR (Webserver) and it is getting painful (something is bound to break soon).

I thought a FTP connection would work much better for updating of the web pages n the AVR.

Neil.
nwrightson
Benutzer
Subject:

Re: Wanted - AVRCo FTP Server

· 
Posted: 06.04.2011 - 05:03  ·  #2
Hmmmmm,

Not a single responce ???

Perhaps if I supplied my web server code ???

Neil.
Avra
Schreiberling
Homepage: rs.linkedin.com/in…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.04.2011 - 14:00  ·  #3
Hello Neil,

Your WEB server code sharing is a very nice move (and a lot of hard work), however I don't think that your expectations about FTP server on AVR are realistic. I looked at AVR Freaks projects, and could not find any FTP server (or client) code at all. Then I googled around the world, and I was not be able to find a single AVR FTP server implementation, and the only FTP client implementation was deprecated ATMEGA103 299$ "AVR Embedded Internet Toolkit". I couldn't even find an Arduino FTP server or client implementation (that's when I started to wonder). The only AVR FTP clients I found use TCP/FTP stack from GPRS modems that usually have some ARM inside. After all, I have found one FTP client in embedded C here, but no sign of 8-bit MCU FTP servers at all (at least with my search keywords). Looking at Indy FTP server component implementation I see 253Kb source (without 20 other included units), and although I haven't looked at FTP protocol specification at all, this tells me much. If FTP server is a must, I would use CodeTyphon/Lazarus/FPC on some commercial ARM Linux board instead and save my self a lot of trouble, or connect AVR to some cheap hackable ARM Linux router if it is a home project.

If all you want is to save your MMC card and connectors from tearing, then maybe you could try a different approach. You could deliver historical data as a simple HTML page. If user asks in his web browser for url like this one: http://avrwebserver/hist/20110604, you can intercept it and render in runtime virtual HTML page from your historical data like this:

Code
DATA START
00:00:04   SENSOR1VALUE   SENSOR2VALUE   SENSOR3VALUE
00:00:10   SENSOR1VALUE   SENSOR2VALUE   SENSOR3VALUE
23:59:57   SENSOR1VALUE   SENSOR2VALUE   SENSOR3VALUE
DATA END

CSV or any other format is also more then acceptable. That way human can see data if he needs, and custom PC program (or Excel) can parse that data and store history in a database if you want to. You don't need much memory or other resources since you already have implemented HTTP and HTML page is generated in runtime from your MMC historical data. You can even execute commands from PC to AVR using virtual url like this http://avrwebserver/del/20110604. AVR can simply interprete this url request as a MMC file delete command.
nwrightson
Benutzer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.04.2011 - 14:26  ·  #4
Hi Avra,

I was beginning to think I was alone in this world :-)

My initial thoughts for the FTP were in the other direction. Loading new web pages up to the AVR/MMC

Looking at Wikipedia and FTP protocols etc I thought it might be reasonably doable?

Neil.
Avra
Schreiberling
Homepage: rs.linkedin.com/in…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2011 - 15:07  ·  #5
Quote by nwrightson
My initial thoughts for the FTP were in the other direction. Loading new web pages up to the AVR/MMC.
Looking at Wikipedia and FTP protocols etc I thought it might be reasonably doable?

Maybe you can implement just a subset for your needs? Maybe fire up some network packet sniffer like WireShark, use some simple FTP client to connect to some FTP server and upload single file, then analyze saved communication log and implement just FTP server commands enough for your needs? Or take an easier route and implement FTP client in AVR that will periodically try to log in to FTP server (your PC) and try to download newer files from it?
nwrightson
Benutzer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2011 - 14:14  ·  #6
Hi Avra,

I like the second option. An automatic self downloading and updating AVR ;-)

Neil.
jomixl
Benutzer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2011 - 09:31  ·  #7
hy neil,
did you find any source for a simple ftp-client?
i could not find it in the www.
i need it to transfer data for a logger to the host and would like to use avrco.

joachim
nwrightson
Benutzer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2011 - 09:39  ·  #8
Hi,

No luck. I think I will have to write one myself. Or you could volunteer :-)

Neil.
  • Page 1 of 2
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.
MySQL Queries: 15 · Cache Hits: 14   133   147 · Page-Gen-Time: 0.023944s · Memory Usage: 2 MB · GZIP: on · Viewport: SMXL-HiDPI