@ Merlin

• Page 3 of 3
Harry
Subject:

Re: @ Merlin

· 
Posted: 17.10.2023 - 15:27  ·  #17
Quote by pvs-deck

Alternativ könnte ja der eine oder andere hier im Forum auch die Bugs beseitigen, wenn er diese Funktion benötigt und dann an Merlin zum einpflegen in das Paket weitergeben.

Hallo Thorsten,

dazu müßte "der eine oder andere" den Quellcode des Compilers haben und da auch durchsteigen.

Gruss
Harry
Merlin
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2023 - 14:23  ·  #18
Hello Harry.

"one or the other" would have to have the source code of the compiler and get through it.

I have absolutely no problem with sharing the source, partially or as a whole, although I have to warn you the code is enormous. To share an individual module such as a specific driver would be no problem, but the full code would be problematic because of the size. I would need, however to continue to control it. As Rolf said, to allow multiple users to do there own thing would make no sense.

Another alternative is to modify the assembler by hand and provide a fix.

I have already said that if anyone provides a fix for a driver I will incorporate it but I will not be testing that fix - it will be up to the provider to do that.

As has been mentioned, the various families bear very little resemblance to each other apart from the underlying assembler.

That means in practice that every family needs its own version of every driver. That is a nightmare. So, Harry, be careful what you wish for.

That is one reason why I will not undertake to maintain drivers, but there are others.

Some people (including yourself) seem to think that the old compiler is perfect. That is great. But as I also made clear at that outset, if the compiler is not to be advanced, then I am not interested in maintaining it. That would be a waste of my time.

"der eine oder andere" müsste den Quellcode des Compilers haben und durch ihn durchkommen.

Ich habe absolut kein Problem damit, den Quellcode zu teilen, teilweise oder als Ganzes, obwohl ich Sie warnen muss, dass der Code enorm ist. Die Weitergabe eines einzelnen Moduls, wie z.B. eines bestimmten Treibers, wäre kein Problem, aber der gesamte Code wäre aufgrund der Größe problematisch. Ich müsste ihn jedoch weiterhin kontrollieren. Wie Rolf sagte, würde es keinen Sinn machen, mehreren Benutzern zu erlauben, ihr eigenes Ding zu machen.

Eine andere Alternative wäre, den Assembler von Hand zu modifizieren und eine Korrektur bereitzustellen.

Ich habe bereits gesagt, dass ich, wenn jemand eine Korrektur für einen Treiber zur Verfügung stellt, diese einbauen werde, aber ich werde diese Korrektur nicht testen - das wird Sache des Anbieters sein.

Wie bereits erwähnt, haben die verschiedenen Familien, abgesehen vom zugrundeliegenden Assembler, sehr wenig Ähnlichkeit miteinander.

Das bedeutet in der Praxis, dass jede Familie ihre eigene Version eines jeden Treibers benötigt. Das ist ein Albtraum. Also, Harry, sei vorsichtig, was du dir wünschst.

Das ist ein Grund, warum ich mich nicht um die Wartung von Treibern kümmern werde, aber es gibt noch andere.

Einige Leute (auch Sie) scheinen zu glauben, dass der alte Compiler perfekt ist. Das ist großartig. Aber wie ich bereits zu Beginn klargestellt habe, wenn der Compiler nicht weiterentwickelt werden soll, dann bin ich nicht daran interessiert, ihn zu pflegen. Das wäre eine Verschwendung meiner Zeit.

Regards

Merlin
miparo
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.10.2023 - 14:10  ·  #19
The old AVRco is far from perfect.

But that was not Rolf's concept either.
What was important for him was that everything together simply "does"

No inline code.
in addition no macro expressions
Operators sequence is not respected. Brackets necessary
No autoconversion Int <> byte etc.

The assembler can do almost nothing(no define in asm block etc ....)

And the generated code is still 50% too big, despite opti

These would have been important issues for ME but everyone has different priorities/opinions.

Class records(Skeletons ) would then be a good extension

miparo
  • Page 3 of 3
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.
MySQL Queries: 8 · Cache Hits: 13   65   78 · Page-Gen-Time: 0.014296s · Memory Usage: 2 MB · GZIP: on · Viewport: SMXL-HiDPI